Lakewood Historical Society and History MuseumNon-Profit
6211 Mount Tacoma Drive SW
Lakewood , WA 98499 (view map)
Wednesday through Saturday 12 noon to
Closed on major holidays.
Group tours by appointment.
My name is Becky Huber, and I am proud to serve as President of the Board at the Lakewood Historical Society. The Society has a very special mission: to identify, preserve and perpetuate Lakewood's history through educational programs and exhibits that celebrate the sites and people of Lakewood and show their contribution to the development of the Pacific Northwest.
In 1998, the Lakewood Historical Society was formed to capture the many stories of this rich history and hold them for future telling. The Lakewood History Museum was opened in October 2006 to preserve this history.
Our current projects include:
● Lakewood Historical Society programs. These are usually offered on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. These programs are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
● The Prairie Gazette newsletter, published quarterly. Back issues are available on line.
● Placing markers and plaques at historic sites in Lakewood.
● Fund-raising events, including a “Take Over” at Carrs Restaurant on April 10, 2012 and our celebration of the Tacoma Speedway Centennial on July 22, 2012.
Our small store-front History Museum is located, appropriately, in the historic Lakewood Colonial Center. Here we bring to life different aspects of our area’s history, from the 1830’s to the present. Drop by during your lunch hour, or after a shopping trip. Bring your children or grandchildren – they will be fascinated!
At the History Museum you will find:
● Artifacts, photographs, maps, documents, books and memorabilia.
● An illustrated timeline of local people, places, and events.
● Exhibits including a homestead cabin, post office, schoolroom, and more, with original artifacts and authentic furnishings.
● Rotating displays of contemporary work by local artists.
● One major exhibit is rotated yearly. Currently on display, “City of Lakewood: The Long Road to Incorporation.”
● Admission is free. Donations are always welcome and greatly appreciated. Group tours are available.
As we trace the footsteps and gather the stories of those who came before us, we invite you to join the Lakewood Historical Society as a member and active volunteer to help us capture and preserve our unique community stories … “Because our history matters.”
Proud member of the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce.