First United Methodist Church Grapevine100% Local
First United Methodist Church of Grapevine has been sharing God's love with children, youth and adults on the same site since 1865.
In the 1800’s, early settlers in Grapevine included two Methodist pastors, the Rev. Nathan Hudgins and the Rev. Daniel Starr. They gathered other settlers of all denominations in various homes for worship each week. Out of these gatherings, the first Methodist church in Grapevine was organized in 1865 with ten charter members.
A few miles away, a congregation had been developing since 1854 under the name Minter's Chapel. Known as the oldest Methodist-roots congregation in Tarrant County, Minter’s Chapel later became Heritage United Methodist Church and continued its rich tradition of worship and service in the Grapevine area. The Minter's Chapel Cemetery is still in existence today, located on the DFW Airport property.
Starting in the summer of 2009, Heritage UMC and First UMC Grapevine joined together under one charge of the United Methodist Church. Then, in the fall of 2009, the two churches became one under the banner of First United Methodist Church Grapevine.
Today, the church has over 2,600 members who worship and minister at two locations: the Downtown Campus (the original site of First United Methodist Church) and the Heritage Campus (where Minter’s Chapel was moved in 1968 and later became Heritage United Methodist Church).
The vision today is the same as it was for the early settlers so long ago…to worship together, to learn about Christ, to serve others, to grow in faith.
Through countless ministries, professions of faith, weddings, funerals, baptisms and confirmations, the light and life of Christ have been proclaimed for many years at both congregations: Minter’s Chapel/Heritage and First Methodist.
An awesome past, an exciting present, an incredible future together doing God’s work… there’s a place for you at First United Methodist Church in Grapevine.